Friday, October 2, 2009

Ken Burns Reminds Me



Every evening this week Ken Burns' mini-series on PBS, "The National Parks - America's Best Idea" has given me a sweet reminder of just how stunningly beautiful this country is - and hopefully always will be. It documents the pioneers who, instead of destroying the natural beauty of the west, did everything possible to protect it. The discovery and eventual protection of natural wonders from the Rocky Mountains and Pueblo dwellings of Colorado, the hot springs and geysers in what is now Yellowstone National Park, to the mighty Redwoods of California (and much much more) is beautifully presented in 30 to 50 year increments. The mini-series also tells of the federal government’s idiotic attitude toward the protection of wilderness back then, and how damaging tourism became later. It is a remarkable series and I think every American should be required to watch it.


I can testify to how moronic tourists can be. Believe it or not I lived and worked in the Del Norte Redwoods in Northern California. My job was to show visitors the most spectacular trails that would lead them to the biggest and most majestic old-growth Redwoods throughout the park. Sadly, a large percentage of the tourists had one question, and one question only (which I quickly grew to despise): "Where is that big ole tree you can driiiive a car through?!"





If they appeared and acted extra tacky and uninterested in seeing the hundreds of treasures right under their noses, I would happily direct them to the famous tree - which is actually dead because some ass cut a whole in it to make a couple of bucks.





Anyway, spending an extended period of time amongst these ancient giants had a profound effect on me and the way I look at things. I hope everyone gets a chance to see them up close. If not, at least watch the Ken Burns documentary