Monday, May 16, 2011

The Hot At Nights and Filthy Bird @ Marsh Woodwinds Friday 5-20



 Marsh Woodwinds is a simple store on Person Street in downtown Raleigh selling musical instruments of the woodwind variety- saxophones, clarinets, etc.  The friendly owner holds dear the sanctity of his space and believes strongly in providing the community with a welcoming venue to relax and enjoy local music, especially jazz.  My one visit to Marsh Woodwinds left me speechless as if I discovered a secret.  I quickly realized the uniqueness of the upstairs venue, the atmosphere created by the music and the overwhelming hospitality from the proprietor.  All I really feel comfortable saying is this: If you come see Matt Douglas and Chris Boerner's jazz outfit, The Hot at Nights, this Friday evening at Marsh Woodwinds, come prepared to respect the rare environment and enjoy  the music.  Greensboro's Filthybird will share the bill.